Online Coding Platform CuriousJr Explores Revenue Model As It Scales Its Offerings

0

Ed-tech startup and online coding platform for kids, CuriousJr envisions wider play as it increases offerings in its online curriculum; while exploring the possibility of introducing a revenue model.

With 160,000 active monthly users – students aged 8 to 17 – the company currently operates on a free model. Almost 60% of users come from level II and III cities; while the remaining 40 percent comes from metropolitan and Tier I cities.

The content of the program or courses is being accelerated, targeting students between grades 6 and 12; while age specific content is something that is also explored. Plans are underway to include vernacular languages ​​in lessons. Besides Hindi and English – which are currently available on the platform – other languages ​​explored are Marathi, Telegu, Bengali and Gujarati.

Gurugram-based Curiosity Edtech Private Limited, which owns and operates the CuriousJr platform, was founded in September 2020.

Rise in power

According to Mridul Ranjan Sahu, co-founder of CuriousJr, the platform presented itself as a mobile first offer, since nearly 88% of students still do not have access to a laptop. On the other hand, nearly 45% of students have smartphone access. This percentage is expected to reach 60 percent within a year; and 70 percent in two years.

“The majority of schools and other electronics technology companies primarily encourage coding courses that are laptop computers or desktop computer readers. But not all students have access to laptops. So we design our program in such a way that coding is possible on small screens. This will allow students to study and code on a mobile device, ”he told BusinessLine.

In addition to working on ramping up content, which includes developing age-specific offerings, the company would also explore the possibility of revenue streams which could include private lessons, purchase of specific lessons, etc.

“We haven’t defined the revenue model yet. Maybe around the second half of the year, say, end of 2022, we might see some development in that direction, ”Sahu said.

Coding in India

Coding for children already represents a $ 14 billion market in India, sources say. Two events of 2020 are said to have propelled this segment – the rollout of NEP 2020 and BYJU’S – India’s largest electronics tech start-up – the buyout of the coding platform WhiteHat Jr for $ 300 million.

Other K-12 coding start-ups in India include Tekie, CodeYoung, Coding Ninjas, among others. General electronics technology companies like Toppr, Vedantu, Unacademy also offer coding courses.

Funding

CuriousJr had, in a previous round of seed funding last year, raised $ 1 million, led by Waterbridge Venture and Enzia Venture and other angel investors.

“At this time, there is no immediate fundraising plan. We will explore such options once we have the new program in place, ”Sahu added.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.